Spanakopita love! A lighter version of the traditional Greek pie!
An authentic, really rich pie stuffed with spinach, onions, cheeses and herbs that are all enfolded by crispy, flaky phyllo dough.
- 1 (10-ounce) package fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup 1% low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- Remaining ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg white
- 5 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare filling, place spinach in a large skillet or Dutch oven. Place over medium heat; cook until spinach wilts. Place the spinach mixture in a colander, pressing until barely moist. Combine the spinach and cheeses in a bowl; set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the green onions; sauté for 2 minutes or until soft. Stir the green onions and the next 5 ingredients (green onions through 2 egg whites) into spinach mixture.
- Combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 egg white in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Working with 1 phyllo sheet at a time, cut each sheet lengthwise into 4 (3 1/2-inch-wide) strips; lightly brush phyllo sheet with egg mixture (cover the remaining phyllo dough to keep it from drying). Spoon about 1 tablespoon spinach mixture onto one end of each strip. Fold one corner of the opposite end over mixture, forming a triangle; keep folding back and forth into a triangle to the end of strip.
- Place triangles, seam sides down, on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until golden.
Enjoy with no guilt!
Love gyros, but it has too many calories for you? Or maybe you can’t have one when you really want it? Well, try out this chicken gyros – low calories recipe and let us know what you think! Who said that real taste and low calories cannot be combined?
Let’s get started!
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic , minced- divided use
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast , cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1/2 cup cucumber , chopped
- 1/3 cup nonfat yogurt, plain or 1/3 cup low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 2 gyrobread or 2 pita bread
- 1/2 small red onion , thinly sliced
Combine lemon juice, oil, 1/2 t of the garlic, mustard and oregano in a gallon zip top plastic bag.2
Add chicken and seal bag.3
Turn bag and gently move chicken around to distribute marinade evenly.4
Refrigerate at least 1 hour.5
In a small bowl combine cucumber, yogurt, dill and remaining garlic. Cover and refrigerate until serving. (NOTE: Cucumbers have a lot of moisture in them so if you want your sauce to be less runny really drain them well and squeeze the water out if you want.).6
Drain chicken, discarding marinade.7
In a large nonstick skillet saute the chicken for 7-8 minutes or until juices run clear.8
Spoon half the chicken on each pita and top with cucumber mixture and sliced onion.9
Lettuce and tomato may be added if you like.10
Fold in half and enjoy.
- 1 big lobster
- 2 large onions chopped
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 tsp cinammon
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1 can of tomatoes
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 small glass of wine
- 1/2 bunch of parsley chopped
- 1/2 pack spaghetti
METHOD Fill half way a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add lobster and let cook for half hour. Take lobster out of pot and set aside. Keep water aside as well. Remove shells and cut meat in small pieces. Heat oil and saute onions and parsley. Add lobster and stir. Add wine, tomatoes and paste. Add cloves, pepper and cinammon. Simmer until all water is absorbed. Bring the water, where the lobster was cooked, to a boil. Add spaghetti and stir every 5 minutes. Let the spaghetti cook and then drain. Place butter in pot and let it melt. Add some salt. Saute spaghetti and remove from heat . Use a large bowl to mix spaghetti with lobster sauce. Sprinkle with parsley.